| Organized by the State Legislature in 1834, the roots of the department date back some 10 years before. The original Fire Station housing a hand drawn “tub” style pumper and hose cart, was located on Main St. just west of the old Black Mill and east of the “Hilditch” Block. This is beyond where the Grays club is today and before the railroad tracks. The Thompsonville Fire District is arguably one of the oldest career or paid departments in the country.
With the growth of Thompsonville and the influx of immigrants, the fire department grew also. After the Civil War Headquarters was moved to South Main St. (Pearl Street) the site of present day Coronas Market. The growth continued with stations added in 1885 and 1899. Company 2 was on Pearl St. across from Walnut St. and Company 3 on Whitworth St. Starting in 1903 the department began a rapid conversion to motorized apparatus and jumped headlong into the 20th century with a flying squad (a present day special operations unit) and state of the art equipment, including first generation breathing apparatus and rescue equipment. Thompsonville provided the only ladder company in the area from 1890 until 1957. During that time the closest other ladder company was in the City of Springfield.
Today with a compliment of 23 Career firefighters, 2 Rescue Pumpers, and a 100ft. Ladder Truck the Thompsonville Fire District carries on its proud tradition of over 175 years of 24 hour professional fire service to its community.